top of page

Funding available for Energy Efficiency measures

There is a myriad of funding available to encourage and support households to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. Below we summarise some of the current incentives available in Surrey.

The Great British Insulation Scheme

Funding to get free or cheaper insulation. If eligible you can select one form of insulation.

To be eligible your home:

To apply in Surrey you can contact Action Surrey who will be able to refer you directly to an installer. Or you can go through the government registration system which will lead to your energy supplier contacting you to arrange a review.

Remember if you are in Council Tax A-D you can get up to 6 rolls of loft insulation free through EARR's Leaky Homes Roadshow. However you will need to install them yourself or arrange for installation. We suggest that you use the Great British Insulation Scheme for more expensive insulation, such as cavity wall insulation, that you would not be able to complete yourself. (Or for loft insulation if you can't install it yourself.)

Home Upgrade Grant

Note this funding is only available for homes that are not connected to gas. In addition to being off-gas, both the following criteria must be met

  • The property's Energy Performance Certificate must be rated D, E, F or G

  • The household must also meet one of the following:

  • The property is situated in an ‘auto-eligible’ postcode, as indicated above, or

  • In receipt of means-tested benefits, or

  • Have an annual gross household income below £31,000

Improvement measures include loft insulation, cavity and external wall insulation, underfloor insulation.  Once sufficient insulation is in place, renewable energy installation can be funded, such as solar panels.   

In Surrey applications can be made via Action Surrey.

Boiler Upgrade Scheme

A grant of up to £7500 to replace fossil fuel boilers with an air source or ground source heat pump, or £5000 to install a biomass boiler.

Funding can be used for residential or business premises; however the applicant must own the property and there must be no outstanding insulation requirements for the property on your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Funding is accessed by the heat pump installer on your behalf. Further details on the government website.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO4)

To be honest we are still trying to work out how to access this funding!

The Ofgem website has some background information about this scheme. Delivery mechanisms are varied, with some delivery taking place via local authorities or housing associations. Watch this space for further details.

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page